With winter upon us, you may think that the time for being environmentally friendly and energy efficient has passed. After all, heaters can be notorious for hiking up your utilities. Do not despair. At Total Comfort Cooling & Heating, we have compiled a shortlist of ways to continue your energy-efficient streak through the colder temperatures.
Winter Energy Efficiency Tips
- Make Sure Your Vents Are Unobstructed: Your vents get the hot air to your rooms. Do not cover them up! When you cover them up or obstruct them with an ottoman, it takes longer for your heater to realize the warm air has reached its destination.
- Replace Worn Weather Stripping: Always check your weather stripping for wear and tear. When this is worn down, it can create drafts through your home.
- Use The Sun To Your Advantage: Even though it is super cold, the sun can still warm up your home! During the day time, open up your window curtains to let the natural light in. This will save you from having to kick your heater on.
- Upgrade Your Thermostat: Programmable thermostats are fantastic little systems that allow you to tell your thermostat how to keep your home comfortable. These can greatly lower your heating bill by only turning on your furnace at certain times during the day.
- Have Your Furnace And Heater Tuned Up: Whether its a brand new heater or getting on in years, a tune-up can get your heating system ready for each season. Many people do not continue maintenance on a furnace during the warmer months, so a tune up will get your system up to par.
We hope these tips will help lower your utility bills! When you need a heating tune up, give us a call at (478) 781-9107! Happy holidays from Total Comfort Cooling & Heating!